The Road to Healing

We have all been exposed to some type of trauma in our lives whether it's personal or through someone else.  Clinically that is called secondary traumatic stress or vicarious trauma.  As a child welfare worker, I am very familiar with this, unfortunately.  I can't forget social media and other forms of media, as well.  I find myself rarely watching the news because it's usually negative news that doesn't make me feel good.  Rarely, is there any good or encouraging news.  We have to take conscious efforts to protect ourselves emotionally and/or spiritually because it is so easy to fall victim to such stress and trauma.  I have found things that I love to do that relaxes me and heals me.  A few are meditation, writing poetry, acupuncture, painting and dancing.  Listen to calming music, take a walk, talk to a supportive friend, take a nap in the middle of the day (if you can), write in your journal, etc. Never suffer alone or go so hard that you crash and burn at the end.  You have to be true to yourself, no matter what.  Part of that is listening to yourself.  In my work capacity when workers are stressed or struggling they take what we call mental health days because everyone deserves and needs a break.  Depending on your individual situation take those mental health days or moments.  That may mean walking away from a situation that is not the best for you to take a moment to yourself or it can mean taking a staycation or an actual vacation.  I always tell the story of a lady that used to work at my former office.  She was probably in her late 50's or 60's.  I would often see her in the bathroom and I just remember her being very snazzy, sophisticated and friendly to me.  As time went on, she eventually retired.  It wasn't long after she retired that she passed away.  I could not believe it!  To invest all that time into a career, retire and no longer be here anymore to enjoy the rest of your life is so sad to me.  I don't want that to be me and it should not be you either.  Take breaks, breathe, do things that you love and remember to always take moments to enjoy life.  Everyday won't be the best, but you can make the best of everyday.  Keep smiling and remember you will be alright.

XOXO,
Araba
@arabawritestoo

,
Photo Credit - B. Araba Photography
@beearaba_photo
Go to my Etsy Shop: ArtByAraba for merchandise:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtByAraba

Comments

Popular Posts